Dr. Vineet Sankhla is a Consultant Interventional Cardiologist and Cardiac Electrophysiologist, working at Care Institute of Medical Sciences (CIMS) and Hospital, Ahmedabad.
He completed his Cardiology training at Christian Medical College (CMC) Vellore. He was awarded “Dr George Cherian” Medal for the best outgoing student in DM cardiology exams held by MGR university, Chennai. He was also trained in Cardiac rhythm disorders and Basic EP Ablations at Mumbai.
Dr. Sankhla is well experienced in treating various Cardiac disorders and performing angiography, angioplasties (PTCA), Pacemakers and conventional RF Ablations. He has special interest in 12 lead ECG interpretation and evaluation of cardiac rhythm disorders.
- 2003-2006: DM Cardiology: Christian Medical College, Vellore, India.
- 2001-2003: Sr. Registrar in Cardiology: Christian Medical College Vellore, India.
- 1999: Sr. Registrar in Cardiology / CCU: Jaslok Hospital, Mumbai, India.
- 1996-1999: MD (Medicine): Govt. Medical College, Surat, Gujarat, India.
- 1989-1994: MBBS: Govt. Medical College, Surat, Gujarat , India.
- 1977-1989: Secondary and Higher Secondary Education (School): Mount Carmel High School and Adarsh Maha Vidhyalaya, Gandhidham (Kachchh), Gujarat, India
- Consultant Interventional Cardiologist, Care Institute of Medical Sciences (CIMS) and Hospital, Ahmedabad – Jan 2013 till date
- Visiting Fellow in Interventional Cardiology in Mayo Clinic, Rochester USA in 2012
- Fellowship in Cardiac Electrophysiology under Dr Yash Lokhandhwala in Mumbai in 2009. Trained in management of arrhythmias and cardiac rhythm device therapy like radiofrequency catheter ablation of arrhythmias and biventricular pacemaker/ICD implantation
- Consultant Interventional Cardiologist, Shalby Multispeciality Hospital, Ahmedabad – Jan 2011 to Dec 2013
- Consultant Interventional Cardiologist, Apollo Multispeciality Hospital, Ahmedabad – May 2006 to Dec 2010
- DM Trainee in Cardiology – Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore – Jan 2003 – Feb 2006.
- Senior Registrar – Dept. of Cardiology – Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore – Mar 2001 –Jan 2003
- Senior Registrar – Dept. of Cardiology, Dharamsingh Desai Institute of Cardiology and CV Surgery, Nadiad, Gujarat – May 2000 – May 2001.
- Senior Registrar in Cardiology / CCU Jaslok Hospital and Research Center, Mumbai – 1999
- Registrar – Dept. of Medicine – Govt. Medical College and New Civil Hospital, Surat. Gujarat –1996 – 1999.
- Consultant Interventional Cardiologist (Full time) in Care Institute of Medical Sciences (CIMS) and hospital, Ahmedabad, Gujarat State, INDIA from Jan 2013 till date.
- Consultant Interventional Cardiologist (Full time) in Shalby Hospitals, Ahmedabad, Gujarat State, INDIA from Jan 2011 – Dec 2012.
- Consultant Interventional Cardiologist (Full time) in Apollo Hospital Ahmedabad, Gujarat State India since May 2006 to Dec 2010.
- Registrar in Cardiology (Full time) dept in Holy Family Hospital Bandra, Mumbai under Dr Yash Lokhandwala from Jan 2009 to Jun 2009
- DM Trainee in Cardiology (Full time) – Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore – since January 2003 – Feb 2006.
- Senior Registrar– Dept. Of cardiology – Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore – Mar 2001 – Jan 2003
- Senior Registrar – Dept of Cardiology, Dharamsingh desai institute of Cardiology and CV surgery, Nadiad, GUJARAT – May 2000 – Mar 2001
- Senior Registrar in Cardiology/CCU – Jaslok Hospital and Research Center, Mumbai – April 1999 – Dec 1999
- Registrar – of Medicine – Govt Medical College and New Civil Hosp Surat. GUJARAT – 1996 – 1999
PUBLICATIONS: (Index Jour):
- Torsade de pointes in a case of pheochromocytoma–an unusual presentation of an uncommon disease. Roshan J, George OK, Vineet S, George PV, Jose VJ. Indian Heart J. 2004 May-Jun; 56(3):248-9.
- Neuraxial modulation for refractory ventricular arrhythmias: value of thoracic epidural anesthesia and surgical left cardiac sympathetic denervation. Bourke T, Vaseghi M, Michowitz Y, Sankhla V, Shah M, Swapna N, Boyle NG, Mahajan A, Narasimhan C, Lokhandwala Y, Shivkumar K. Circulation. 2010 Jun 1;121(21):2255-62
- Left-sided biventricular pacemaker implantation in the presence of persistent left superior vena cava. Sankhla V, Vajifdar B, Shah M, Lokhandwala Y. Indian Heart J. 2010 Jul-Aug;62(4):344-5
- Identifying the mechanism of narrow QRS tachycardia from the ECG. Vineet Sankhla, Vora A, Lokhandwala Y. Indian Heart J. 2011 Jul-Aug; 63(4):306-11.
ABSTRACTS AND PAPER PRESENTATIONS IN CONFERENCES:
- New conduction disturbances on ECG in patient with Infective Endocarditis: Does it signify anything. (Poster presentation) Ketal patel, Vineet Sankhla, Apollo Hospital, Ahmedabad. International Congress of Emergency Medicine, Singapore 2010.
- RF ablation of atrial tachycardia in patients with old ASD surgery using conventional non contact mapping. Indian Heart J 2009 – Nov – Dec
Vineet Sankhla, Mandar Shah, Amit Vora, Yash Lokhandwala
Holy Family Hospital, Mumbai
- In hospital mortality and 30-day events in patients with acute STEMI presenting to a tertiary care center. Indian Heart J 2003;55:462
- Components of Pre-Hospital Delay in Acute Myocardial Infarction ST Chandy, SN Gupta, S Jose, S Vineet, P Mariappan, P Sebastian, P Kamath Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore. Indian Heart Journal Sept – Oct, 2002; 54:
- Gender differences in exercise electrocardiogram using Bruce Protocol. Indian Heart Journal 2002; 54:626.
- Correlation of ECG & Site of LAD Occlusion in recent Anterior wall Myocardial Infarction – Adjudged best paper award in Non Teaching Category – Annual Conference of Association of Physicians of Gujarat 2001
ACHIEVEMENTS AND HONORS:
- Visited Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA as clinical observer in Cardiac Catheterization lab, Interventional Cardiology for three weeks in March 2012
- Received DR GEORGE CHERIAN MEDAL and certificate for the best outgoing student in DM cardiology exams held in Feb 2006 by MGR University Chennai, INDIA
- First Prize in ECG Quiz conducted by Indian society of Electrocardiography (ISECON) in Bangalore 2005
- Awarded “Fellow of European Society of Cardiology (FESC)” in Jan 2014
- Awarded “Fellow of Indian Society of Electrocardiology (FISE)” in Dec 2013
- Awarded “Associate Fellow of American Society of Cardiology (FACC-Associate) in Feb 2014
- Started Interventional Cardiology programme in the country of Papua New Guinea first time in Feb 2015 (along with an Australian Cardiologist Dr Richard Chan)
- Cardiology Society of India
- Indian Medical Association
- Ahmedabad Medical Association, Gujarat State, India
- Indian Academy of Echocardiography
- Attended and passed the BCLS and ACLS certificate course conducted by American heart association in September 2006
- Attended the update course on device-based cardiac rhythm management therapies by Medtronic in Nov 2006.
- Attended in 3rd International Trans-Radial Intervention Course, Ahmadabad, Jan 2007
- Attended the Basic EP and ablation course by St Jude in Mumbai Feb 2008
- Attended the Basic and intermediate EP training program by Bard INDIA in August 2008
- Attended the fellow course in “INDIA LIVE”, Mumbai, Feb 2011
- Attended the “Indian Society of Electrocardiography – ECG course” as a Faculty on 18th August, 2013 in Ahmedabad, India
- Attended “The 63rd ACT Program” Oct 14-17, 2013 at ASAN Medical Centre, Seoul, Korea
- Attended “Advanced CRT/ICD Workshop – MEDICE” conducted by Medtronics India, Nov 2013 at Mumbai, INDIA.
- Attended “Advanced Complex Coronary Workshop” in Japan by Medtronics in 2015.
- Attended “Euro PCR” in Paris in 2016.
- Attended “Carotid interventions conference” in New Delhi in August 2016.
- Attended Indian Society of Electro cardiology Conference ISECON, Bangalore 2005.
- Attended as a delegate in 57th Annual conference of Cardiological Society of India, Mumbai, Dec 2005
- Participated in Annual Conference by the Indian Society of Electrocardiology ISECON, Chennai Feb 2006
- Attended as a delegate in 58th Annual conference of Cardiological Society of India, Delhi, 2006
- Attended as a delegate in 59th Annual conference of Cardiological Society of India, Hyderabad, Dec 2007
- Presented an interesting case in Indian Society of Electro cardiology Conference ISECON, Ahmadabad, Feb 2009
- Participated in 1st National Endovascular Workshop in Ahmadabad, 2009
- Participated in Indian Society of Electro cardiology Conference ISECON, Mumbai 2010
- Participated in 2nd National Endovascular Workshop, Ahmadabad, Oct 2010
- Attended AMI course 2010, Delhi, Nov 2010
- Attended “INDIA LIVE” in Feb 2011. Mumbai, INDIA as a delegate
- Attended “Cardiological Society of India” conference in Dec 2011.
- Attended “Singapore CTO Live” in Oct 2012.
- Attended “Trico conference on radial intervention” in Ahmedabad, India in Nov 2012.
- Attended “CIMSCON – 2013” as a Faculty in Ahmedabad, Gujarat State, India.
- Attended “JIC-CON – 2014” as a Faculty in Ahmedabad, Gujarat State, India.
- Attended “JIC-CON – 2015” as a Faculty in Ahmedabad, Gujarat state, India.
ENGLISH PROFICIENCY (PTE-ACADEMIC – FEB 2016):
Reading – 85, Listening – 77, Writing – 90, Speaking – 68,
Overall Score – 78
Date: 11.02.16, Registration ID: 294914330
WORK EXPERIENCE IN CARDIOLOGY:
After finishing MD in internal medicine in 1999, I worked as ICU/CCU registrar at Jaslok Hospital and Research Center Mumbai, INDIA. During this period I was exposed to manage critically ill medical and cardiac patients. I assisted and performed various bedside ICU procedures like central venous and arterial line insertion, IABP, temporary pacemaker, pericardiocentesis, and artificial ventilatory management.
In May 2000, I joined Dharmasingh Desai and Methodist institute of Cardiology and CV surgery in Nadiad Gujarat State, INDIA. This is a charitable tertiary care institute dedicated predominantly to diagnosis and management of cardiac patients. Here I was managing CCU and noninvasive cardiology. I had a good experience of echocardiography and was a regular participant in echo camps in nearby localities.
In March 2001, I joined Department of Cardiology, Christian Medical College (CMC) and Hospital, Vellore, INDIA as a Senior Registrar in Cardiology department. CMC Vellore is one the premier and reputed medical institutes of India imparting basic and specialist medical education and training. During this tenure I was involved in the care of adult and pediatric cardiac patients. Apart from ward and CCU postings, I was posted in Echocardiography and non-invasive lab where I learned stress echocardiography, trans-esophageal echocardiography and exercise treadmill test.
Subsequently I joined the same institute under supervised degree program for three years (DM in Cardiology) in Cardiology department. This 3 year period involved care of outpatients and inpatients, performing cardiac disgnostics independently viz. treadmill stress test, holter analysis, and echocardiography. During my posting in cardiac catheterization lab for 7 months, I was doing various diagnostic cardiac catheterization and angiography procedures independently and assisted various cardiac interventions under supervision.
I completed my exit exams in cardiology degree program in 2006 and was awarded “Dr. George Cherian Medal and award” for the best outgoing student in Cardiology from my College.
I joined Apollo hospitals, Ahmedabad, Gujarat state, INDIA in 2006 as a junior consultant in Cardiology. Apollo group of hospitals is one of the largest groups of corporate hospitals in Asia in private sector. During this period I increased my skills in coronary interventions procedures and started performing simple coronary interventions independently after few months. I was an active member of primary angioplasty team involved in treating acute myocardial infarction patients. The new learning during this period was performing coronary diagnostics and interventions by radial route which was not a preferred method during my training period in CMC Vellore. I was quite confident of performing coronary interventions during my work period in Apollo hospitals, Ahmedabad.
Due to my inquisitive to have some exposure in Cardiac rhythm disorders, I went to Mumbai in 2009 for six months to work in Cardiac Electrophysiology department in Holy Family Hospital, Mumbai, India. Here I learned independently to implant single and dual chamber pacemakers and assisted ICD/CRT procedures. I also assisted various conventional Radiofrequency ablation procedures for SVTs and idiopathic VTs. I rejoined to work in Apollo hospitals, Ahmedabad in my previous capacity after six months of training in Mumbai.
In Jan 2011, I joined Shalby Hospitals, Ahmedabad, Guajrat State, INDIA as a Full time Consultant in Interventional Cardiology and has been working till date in the same capacity. Shalby hospital is multispecialty 120 bedded corporate private hospital located in main city of Ahmedabad with a dedicated Cardiac Cathlab and Cardiology department. I independently performed coronary interventions and Primary Angioplasty during my tenure in Shalby Hospitals.
I also visited Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA as a clinical observer in Cardiac Cauterization lab, Interventional Cardiology for three weeks in March 2012.
I joined with Cardiology Group, Care Hospital of Medical Sciences (CIMS), Ahmedabad as Consultant in Interventional Cardiology from Jan 2013 and working till date.
- Registered for MBBS degree with “The Gujarat Medical Council”, Registration No. G-23624, dated 20.02.1996.
- Registered for MD in Internal Medicine with “The Gujarat Medical Council” Certificate No. G-8770, dated 03.03.1999.
- Registered for DM in Cardiology with “The Gujarat Medical Council” Certificate No. G-17545, dated 18.08.2010.
RACP, Australia Assessment :
- Applied for Specialist assessment in OTP (Overseas trained physician) category with RACP, Australia in 2016.
- Deemed “Substantially comparable” to an “Australian trained physician in Cardiology” by RACP OTP subcommittee assessment in Sep 2016.
- Advised 12 months of practice under “peer review” to be eligible for specialist recognition in cardiology.
CURRENT WORK :
- Presently I am working as a Full time Consultant Interventional Cardiologist in CIMS Hospitals, Ahmedabad, Gujarat State, INDIA since Jan 2013 till date.
- I am also a visiting Interventional Cardiologist to Pacific International Hospital, Papua New Guinea and started the interventional Cardiology program in the country for the first time since Feb 2015.
1.) Dr.Richard YJ Chan
139, Grafton St, Cairns, QLD 4870, Australia
2.) Dr.George Joseph, MD DM
Head and Professor of Department of Cardiology,
Christian Medical College and Hospital,
Vellore 632 004
Tamil Nadu – INDIA
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
3.) Dr.Milan Chag MD DM
Consultant Interventional Cardiologist
Chairman – Care Institute of Medical Sciences (CIMS) and Hospital
Ahmedabad, Gujarat State, INDIA
4.) Dr.Yash Lokhandwala, MD DM
Consultant Cardiologist and Electrophysiologist
Holy Family hospital Mumbai &
Visiting Cardiologist to CMC Vellore
5.) Dr.Verghese Mathew, MD
Consultant in Interventional Cardiology
Mayo Clinic | 200 First Street SW | Rochester, MN 55905 USA